[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
AFHUB • View topic - Marvel Secret Invasion
Home      Forum      Gallery      RSS      Contact Us
It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:44 pm
Board index » Non-Toy Discussions » Media » Comics/Magazines

Author
Search for:

Post Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:25 am 
Secret Invasion just hit.

I must say that the confirmed skrulls are kinda low key except for a few. But it's still surprising.

One in every team, right?

Fantastic Four
revealed in SI # 1

Mighty Avengers
revealed in SI # 1
My bets: Black Widow and Wonderman

Avengers the Initiative
revealed in SI # 1

X-men
none yet (But my bets are jean, colossus, beast, and cyclops)

New Avengers
none yet (for me it's Luke Cage)

Illuminati
Black Bolt (revelaed in New Avengers Illuminati series)
My bets: Dr. Strange and Prof. X

X-Factor
None yet
My bet: Guido or M

Thunderbolts
none yet
My bets: (The blonde woman and Swordsman)

Young Avengers
none yet
My bets: (aside from hulkling) Cassie Lang

New Warriors
none yet
My bets: The girl from New X-men who got depowered

New X-men/Young X-men
none yet
My bets: Rockslide, David, and one of the new characters

X-corp
none yet
My bets: Domino, Slipstream, Feral, Thunderbir III(Neal Shaara)

Any thoughts?

Profile WWW YIM  

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:52 am 
From Newsarama.com

MIKE CAREY ON SECRET INVASION: X-MEN, FCBD X-MEN, LEGACY AND MORE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Steve Ekstrom

Marvel’s latest event, Secret Invasion begins this week, and no one will remain unaffected by the Skrull threat—not even the X-Men, case in point, the August-debuting Secret Invasion: X-Men. This four issue mini-series, written by X-Men: Legacy writer, Mike Carey, and drawn by Cary Nord, provides an in-depth look at Marvel’s misbegotten mutants during the throes of the Skrull invasion of Earth—with some stunning results.

Newsarama contacted Mike Carey to talk about his work on this Secret Invasion tie-in project; his involvement with the X-Men book Marvel is publishing for Free Comic Book Day; and touching base with him in regards to his work on the monthly X-Men: Legacy title.

Newsarama: Let’s start off with Secret Invasion: X-Men—this is set for release in August, right? It seems that this mini starts off during the full scale Skrull assault on Earth—and the X-Men seem to be holding their own…

Mike Carey: Yeah, this story will be coming around August and it’s fair to say at this stage that the secret invasion isn’t a secret anymore. The Skrull plans have advanced a long way. It’s becoming clear what their goal is and it’s also clear as to how the X-Men have to try to stop them. So this mini belongs to the open warfare part of the story – it’s not part of the subterfuge and behind-the-scenes manipulation that is going on right now and has been for the past few years.

NRAMA: Where does this story take place?

MC: It takes place in the X-Men’s new home.

NRAMA: There has been talk that the X-Men will be setting up shop elsewhere…

MC: Let’s just say that the X-Men are going to be basing themselves somewhere in the U.S. that is not traditionally associated with the X-Men or mutant activity.

NRAMA: Let’s not forget that you are working with Cary Nord on this project. How’s that going so far?

MC: It’s very exciting. We’re still at a very early stage in terms of work that’s been produced for the project. I’ve written one script and I’m in the middle of the second. I haven’t seen any of the concept art yet and I cannot wait to do so. It’s fantastic to be working with Cary – but yeah, we’re kind of at that “getting to know you” phase.

NRAMA: The cast of this mini-series is going to be fairly large, correct? You’ve mentioned elsewhere that Iceman and Cannonball, two members who aren’t currently involved with any particular roster are also going to be appearing. Will Wolverine be pulling double duty as an X-Man and as an Avenger?

MC: Well, Wolverine is very much a player in the core Secret Invasion story; so, no, do not expect to see him in this mini-series. There will be reasons why he’s not fighting alongside the X-Men at this particular point—but pretty much everyone else is. It’s a huge cast and it’s certainly not limited to members on current rosters.

NRAMA: Do any of the plot threads from several years ago, involving Xavier’s time spent with the mutant Skrulls, have any relevance in this mini-series?

MC: Probably not—but I know what you mean. The Professor’s past links with the Skrulls, and stuff dating from that time. It probably won’t be directly referenced here.

NRAMA: Will the events taking place in Secret Invasion: X-Men have any drastic effects on any of the line-ups of the current books?

MC: In an ongoing way, you mean?

NRAMA: Yeah.

MC: It’s very much a self-contained story – and that’s one of the big advantages of the Marvel template for crossovers. You have the main crossover event, which is told as a stand-alone story, and then you the spin-off mini-series – rather than having infinite numbers of tie-ins with ongoing books. This way you don’t have to disrupt the continuity of the ongoing books on an annual basis to accommodate the big event. The direct consequences of this story in relation to the line of X-titles will be relatively small to begin with; however, there will be some lasting effects that will slowly start to affect the X-Men and there will also be a couple of surprises regarding the statuses of certain characters. To answer your question, though, team line-ups will be largely unaffected.

NRAMA: It’s pretty much a given that the X-Men march to the beat of their own drummer when it comes to conflict within the Marvel Universe. Why do you think the X-Men are so traditionally different?

MC: I think a lot of that difference can be attributed to the source of their powers—which definitely makes them different, doesn’t it? Most other superhero origins are unique; the X-Men share a heritage and a situation—they have something that bonds them together. This heritage identifies them as a group and separates them from everyone else. It’s the view of this bond from the outside as well as their own perceptions that sets them apart from everyone.

NRAMA: With this new ‘proactive’ regime being led by Cyclops will readers see a change in the morals or ethics of how the X-Men fight against the Skrulls?

MC: It’s funny you should ask that—because there is an ethical dilemma—a very large ethical dilemma at the center of this story. What we have here is a situation where the X-Men are faring very well against the Skrulls; but then, they realize just how formidable a force they are facing and how unlikely they are going to succeed against it if they fight this battle as they’ve fought the majority of their battles in the past. They have a second option…it’s just that kind of a door that if you open it, it is very difficult to shut again.

NRAMA: Cyclops has fully come into his own now—with the advent of Messiah Complex and his roles in X-Force and the upcoming Young X-Men in the ‘Divided We Stand’ storyline—will he be the standout of this project?

MC: Yeah—he’s definitely stepping up to the plate now. He’s commanding the X-Men like an army in this story. I think we were already seeing that in Messiah Complex but it’s even more visible now. He’s making all of the hard calls—for example: bringing the students into the fighting; which, in some ways, is a morally dubious thing to do since he is responsible for their welfare. But the stakes are so high, and the consequences of failure—of letting this invasion succeed—have become so enormous that Cyclops really has no choice. Readers will definitely see Cyclops as a war leader here and they will see exactly what he is capable of when his back is against the wall.

NRAMA: Will Cyclops face any opposition to his methods from within the X-Men?

MC: Well, that ethical dilemma I mentioned earlier? Let’s just say that that dilemma brings him into confrontation with one other X-Man of very, very long standing; but, for the most part, the X-Men are functioning very effectively and cohesively for the majority of this story. It’s going to seem as though the events of Messiah Complex have taken them down a new avenue, given them a new mode of interaction. Like in a way – and I grant you, it’s kind of a sick way – that was a valuable training exercise to prepare them for this war.

NRAMA: So you could say this story takes place post-‘Divided We Stand’ or is this theme still going to be running parallel to the Secret Invasion storyline period?

MC: I guess you could say this is going to be the next stage as the ‘Divided We Stand’ motif begins to wind up.

NRAMA: Are there any other X-Men that readers should keep their eyes on during Secret Invasion?

MC: Beast, Emma Frost, and Nightcrawler.

NRAMA: Yeah, if you look at the solicited cover for Secret Invasion #2—you can clearly see that Beast looks a little different compared to what readers are used to these days…

MC: Oh, does he? I haven’t seen any of that artwork yet! (laughs) Even so—I can’t comment on any of that.

NRAMA: At this time, would you like to respond to any of the alleged leaks from the internet over the past couple of weeks that have been going on involving Secret Invasion, the Secret Invasion: X-Men mini-series, and various other aspects of this event? You’re not a big fan of spoilers…

MC: No, I’m not. I can’t see where all the satisfaction is with whatever these people think they are doing. The only consequence spoilers end up having is that they diminish the pleasure of the actual narrative.

It’s like this: Have you ever had the experience where you try to not find out the score of the big game? Like, say, you couldn’t watch it while it was on but you’re going to watch a replay of it later on in the evening. So you try your best not to get involved in conversations with people who have already seen the game and may end up telling you who won. It’s kind of like that. Even with all the spoiler warnings in the world, if this information is just out there floating around it will be very difficult to avoid it

It was the same with the seventh Harry Potter book. Once a few people read the book they ran straight to the internet and leaked the ending of the book on the first day of its release. It was almost impossible to avoid finding out information about the book.

Then you also have people who try to be ambiguously clever with their comments and they’re not as clever as they think – and it ruins the experience for other people. I think spoilers of the “I know something you don’t know” kind pretty much suck.

NRAMA: On that note, let’s change gears and mention your work on the upcoming Free Comic Book Day X-Men book with Greg Land. Care to comment on this project?

MC: Yeah, absolutely. I was delighted when Nick Lowe called me out of the blue and asked me if I wanted to write a Pixie standalone story for Free Comic Book Day. Then he told me that Greg was likely to be involved as well—so I jumped at it, obviously.

This is, to some extent, a solo Pixie story; although other X-Men figure in at various stages of the narrative. It kind of falls under the ‘Divided We Stand’ umbrella because we see Pixie going back to Wales—to the little Welsh mining village where she lived prior to becoming one of Xavier’s students. The story focuses on how Pixie is trying to re-establish herself in this small town life again. It turns out to be quite difficult. Then she discovers that something terrible has been happening in the village, and this thing ultimately leads to her getting back in touch with the X-Men.

It’s a fairly light-hearted story in a lot of ways – with lots of really good action sequences, and the reappearance of a very long-standing X-Men villain.

NRAMA: Would you say that Pixie is becoming Kitty Pryde’s replacement as the young and naïve heroine?

MC: Yeah, I think that’s kind of one of the beats we’re hitting. Without going into too much detail, this story has echoes of that great one-off in Uncanny#143 where Kitty Pryde is alone in the mansion and she has to take down a N’Garai demon.

NRAMA: To wrap this up, let’s talk about the current events in X-Men: Legacy very briefly—it seems Xavier is preparing to do battle with Exodus at the end of the most recent issue a couple of weeks ago. Does Xavier’s apparent aligning with Magneto pick up on threads from Chris Claremont’s Excalibur title, pre-House of M?

MC: I guess it does to a certain extent—yes. We’re certainly referencing that relationship a great deal. Keep in mind, however, that this is not these two men collaborating in any real or ongoing sense—it’s just that the situation they’re in forces them to fight alongside each other. But clearly, yeah, there are echoes to that time period.

I love the way Claremont used to play the relationship between Xavier and Magneto. I think Magneto is most interesting when he’s morally ambivalent—when he’s not flat out good or evil.

NRAMA: It is starting to seem like Xavier will be the one to have a change of heart in confines to his dream as opposed to Magneto’s ideal. Will Magneto be manipulating Charles in his current state?

MC: Right now, Charles is examining all of his actions and all of his motives –
everything is in the crucible, as far as he’s concerned. He’s not just recovering his memories; he’s actually rediscovering his past and there’s going to be some surprising fallout from these revelations.

NRAMA: What can readers expect in the next couple of months of X-Men: Legacy?

MC: Readers will get to see Professor X going back to his roots in this process of trying to understand who he is and who he has been—he’s gone right back to square one. He’s going to be revisiting some people we haven’t seen in a very long time and some events that have been long forgotten.

There’s this amazing war scene coming up in a future issue that is a hallucination, on one level, but it’s also statement about how Charles has interacted with all of these various X-teams over the years. It’s going to be a really great sequence.

NRAMA: Care to show readers how to give a truly ambiguous teaser for this upcoming Secret Invasion mini-series?

MC: Sure. It’s not just about the clash of arms; it’s also about the clash of cultures. We’re going to learn quite a bit about Skrull religion and Skrull attitudes in this story.

NRAMA: Will there be any sympathizers?

MC: Yes—at least one.

Profile WWW YIM  

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:54 am 
From Newsarama.com

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=152346

SECRET INVASION: FIRST STRIKE - BENDIS ON WHO WAS HIT AND WHY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secret Invasion #1 has hit comic shops nationwide, and the battle for earth has begun. The Skrulls have invaded.

And…with a quick series of surgical strikes…it’s over? Or at least really, really close to being wrapped up? It certainly has that feeling, given the targets of issue #1 as well as the damage that was done.

Well, let’s get this out of the way first…

SPOILER WARNING FOR SECRET INVASION #1

In Brian Bendis and Leinil Yu’s first issue, the Skrulls targeted the heroes and authority structure of the Marvel Universe that was capable of stopping them, and unceremoniously, took them out. Why were the targets that were nailed selected?

Bendis took us into the Skrull mind to explain the target list.

Tony Stark: “He put himself on top of the mountain and said, ‘I can protect the world with my new technology and my new Extremis bioengineering, and I will do so.’ He was right to believe that he could, and was coming at it from the right place, but that also put a huge target on his ass, which put the Skrulls in the position of, ‘You’re protecting this world? We want this world, and we’ll have to take you out.’

“And also, because of the situation he created, if the Skrulls know that if they damage Tony Stark, they can damage all the things that he controls, which is a hell of a lot of stuff. Tony’s got Norton Security and a good firewall up, so taking him down was no small feat for the Skrulls.”

The Helicarrier and SWORD: “The Helicarrier is connected to Tony, so the Skrulls could get a two-for-one deal with that, but it’s also this floating tank in the sky filled with soldiers that know all about the Skrulls and how to fight them. It had to be taken out immediately. Same for SWORD’s space platform. Blind their eye in space.”

Opening the Raft and the Cube: “This is part of the plan involving creating bedlam and chaos for the authority figures. All of the upset created by the villains being on the loose only helps them. If the heroes are going to be distracted by this – all the better. If all these villains now want to kill the heroes, hey, the Skrulls want to take the heroes out of the picture as well, so bonus.

“And there might be some people in there that they need to get out of the Raft and the Cube.”

Thunderbolt Mountain: “It’s not a wildcard at all. It represents a section of the authority structure of the Marvel Universe that has been on the rise, dramatically so. This is the black ops, the hardest core of the hard cores. Get rid of them. The Skrulls don’t want Bullseye walking around, and Venom’s just crazy. Venom scares Skrulls. They look at Venom, and even with all the crazy shit they’ve seen in space, they see him and say, ‘Okay, that’s ____ed up.’ Take him out.

“They’re organized and will do what they’re ordered to do by the government and SHIELD, and will do it with a little more…permanence than the heroes would. There was no way the Skrulls could leave them operational.”

Reed Richards and the Baxter Building: “Every single time the Skrulls have come here and attempted anything, Reed Richards has been involved in their downfall. They hate him. They’re sickened by him. He’s their Osama Bin Laden…to some of them, again. So if you’re coming here, you have to take Reed out, he’s the one who will stop you, otherwise.

“And as for the Baxter Building? Whatever Reed has cooking in that building? Remove it from the planet, or this will not work. So the Baxter Building has to go, and Reed has to go as well. No two ways about it.”

Confusion and Broken Hearts in the Savage Land with the Skrull Ship: “Now, the Avengers are faced with the near impossible – they’re in a battle where they can’t even trust the person standing beside them. They’re also far, far away from where the main invasion is happening.

“They don’t know who’s who or what’s what. Let’s say that everything is what it seems to be from the get-go – everyone that comes out of that ship is a Skrull, and everyone we know isn’t - that’s not the case, though. But even on that simplest level, the heroes can’t trust each other now. They can’t trust the soldier next to them before they turn to you and figuratively pull the trigger. The battle is already lost. On top of all that – Oh my God, there’s Captain America. Oh my God – there’s Luke in his unbelievably tacky clothes from the ‘70s. Was that Mockingbird? Clint’s going to be a basket case. Unless that’s not Clint, and he’s just looking to being reunited with his Skrull wife. Whaaaaat?”

So – just how far did the takedowns of issue #1 move the Skrull’s plan forward?

“A lot. We’re looking at a perfectly implemented plan that hit every key element of the power structure in the Marvel Universe right away with no monologuing and no bullshit. It was done quickly and coldly. Boom, boom, boom.”

But – if the philosophical underpinnings of the invasion is “we have a better way,” as you said on Monday why sell it with violence?

“They’re not selling it with violence. They’re selling it with removing that which is standing in their way from doing what they need to do. This is an invasion – in fact, I know a country that has invaded another country here on earth that didn’t do it with a handshake and a basket of cookies. That’s not how it’s done, even by what we like to think of the advanced countries.”

And after that, it’s going after the hearts and minds?

“That idea will be expressed very clearly in the upcoming issues – what exactly the agenda is, why they’re doing it this way, and how it’s being done. It all gets related. It will all be explained.”

And as you said in the Entertainment Weekly interview – by the end, there will have been a power shift on earth…

“Yes. There was supposed to be a smiley face with that, but yeah – there will be a dramatic power shift in the Marvel Universe once this is all over. Dramatic.

“And then, I will unplug my computer.”

Profile WWW YIM  

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:55 am 
From Newsarama.com

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=152226

15 FUN SECRET INVASION FACTS WITH BRIAN BENDIS

In mere hours questions about Marvel’s Secret Invasion #1 will be answered. Who’s a Skrull (or at least, who are the first Skrulls to be revealed)? What will the first strikes be? How deeply rocked will the Marvel Universe be once the revelations start rolling out thick and fast?

You’re going to have to read the book for yourself to find out, but in the meantime, together with SI writer Brian Bendis, we’ve got a list of 15 final points to consider when going in to Secret Invasion.

1) Yes, the Skrull in “Avengers: Disassembled” was supposed to be there.

“It was not a mistake,” Bendis says. “In the history of comics, and there have been very good comics, and very bad comics when have you seen a random character walking around for no reason? Does he play a role in Secret Invasion? A very minor role, but yes. It will all be explained."

2) The bigger story started in New Avengers #1, and someone should tell David Finch.

“That was the first place I said to Tom [Brevoort], ‘Okay, that’s a Skrull, and that’s a Skrull.’ Literally, that was just me and Tom. The artist was not told.”

3) You’re going to have to read the book to find out who the oldest Skrull is in the storyline, though.

“Can’t say who it is,” Bendis says.

4) Nick Fury = big role in Secret Invasion.

“You should buy Secret War,” Bendis says. “It’s out now, and it’s gorgeous. Nick Fury retired from mainstream comics at that story’s end. It’s also the first appearance of Maria Hill and the start of her ascension in SHIELD. All of the elements are important, including a conversation Maria Hill had with the President of the United States. All of it was written in context with this storyline that is coming up, and Nick Fury is part of this story that is coming.”

5) Nick’s whereabouts over the past few months will be revealed – by Alex Maleev.

“We will be turning back the clock in Mighty Avengers #12 and #13. #12 is the best thing Alex Maleev has ever drawn. It’s stunning. There have been many artists who’ve drawn many outstanding Skrulls over the last few months, and Alex wins best Skrull ever in Mighty Avengers #12. And also for people who are looking forward to the Spider-Woman series that Alex and I have been promising for a couple of years, that issue is very close to what that will feel like.”

6) Fury will bring new friends with an old name.

“Nick Fury will be coming back with friends – a slew of new characters,” Bendis says. “It’s not breaking news, I know, but Nick has put together a new team of Howling Commandos. All of them are new characters, or fresh characters, and its part of his response to what he knows is a growing threat.”

7) The Secret Invasion Saga rocked.

“That was the best ‘Saga’ book that Marvel has ever done,” Bendis says. “Some of those ‘Saga’ books I’ve felt, were a little light when they could have been heavier, but this was on the one where they knocked it out of the park. I wish I would’ve had it before I went back and did all my f’n research for this story. Would’ve made my life easier.”

Newsarama Note: Many comic shops may still have free copies of the issue, and it’s also available as a Digital Comic at Marvel.com.

8) The Skrull Kill Krew? (created by Grant Morrison and Mark Millar) Not so much.

“The Skrull Kill Krew won’t be around as much as people want,” Bendis says. “I know they want them to show up, but they’re not going to be there as much as people are hoping, I think. That said, I did have an evil plan to connect Grant Morrison’s work on that series to Final Crisis, whether he liked it or not, but I felt that was ill-advised on my part. I thought it would be pretty funny to find out that the Skrulls are also behind Final Crisis, and that he actually planted the seeds for it back when he wrote that with Mark [Millar].”

How? “Darkseid’s a Skrull. He’s not really trying that hard to disguise it, but there you go. But no, we're not doing it.”

9) Maybe the Illuminati aren’t the Illuminati…besides Black Bolt.

“Did all of the Illuminati members come back from the Skrull throne world after that ill-fated mission that took place after the Kree-Skrull War? I can’t answer that right now. But that will be very illustrated in upcoming issues.”

10) Secret Invasion does have ties to Annihilation.

“The Annihilation Wave was a disaster to the Skrull Empire, so it’s all connected to that event. It’s already seeded – it was worked within the context of Secret Invasion when that happened. I’ve been working with the Annihilation office the entire time. It was always part of the goal of the Annihilation series to get things closer and closer and closer to home, and this was the way to do it.”

11) Tony Stark = target

“Tony Stark has put a big old target on his ass is what Tony Stark has done. He made himself the top cop of the world; put himself in a little tin can with a sign that says, ‘Come Get Me!’ Hell yeah, he put himself in this position. And I can’t say he’s not a Skrull.”

12) Tony Stark did not know the Invasion was coming.

“But it doesn’t mean he’s not a Skrull.”

13) Not all Skrulls on earth know that they are, in fact, Skrulls.

“It’s something else for the internet to hate me over.”

14) The “Daredevil” appearing in the Daredevil title? Not a Skrull.

“The Daredevil in New Avengers #39 was a Skrull….but…Daredevil in Ed’s [Brubaker’s] book is not a Skrull. I will not torture Ed any more than he’s been tortured. Even when I was writing Daredevil, there’s very little room for him to make it into these events, just by the nature of the stories that are told with him. The character does show up in Secret Invasion though.”

15) These Skrulls? Not your daddy’s Skrulls.

“These Skrulls are much more powerful than what’s been seen before. There have been giant leaps in genetic and scientific engineering as far as how the Skrulls are doing what they’re doing, and what they can do. That is a direct relation to things we’ve already shown. We’ll also rewind and show exactly what moment it was when they figured out how to do better stuff and where they got it from, but yeah, they’ve got their shit together. They came with a plan, and the plan is being executed, and it’s being executed well. They knew there were things they had to do to get past things where shape shifting won’t work – like Wolverine. He smells Skrulls. Or used to. They’ve improved on every level.”

Profile WWW YIM  

Post Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:38 am 
From newsarama.com

JASON AARON ON THE BLACK PANTHER/SECRET INVASION TIE-IN ISSUES

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=153015

by Vaneta Rogers

With Skrulls showing up everywhere else in the Marvel Universe, it's not surprising they've got their sights set on Wakanda.

But don't expect Black Panther to go down without a fight.

Beginning with issue #39 of the Black Panther series, writer Jason Aaron will be exploring what happens when Wakanda goes to war with those green-skinned aliens, and how their leader, T'Challa handles the conflict.

We talked to the writer to find out more about the story and what readers can expect from Wakandans during the Secret Invasion tie-in story.

Newsarama: First off, let's clarify how long you're writing Black Panther. Are you taking over the series? Or just writing a few issues?

Jason Aaron: I'm just doing the three-part Secret Invasion crossover that begins in issue #39. After that, regular writer Reggie Hudlin will return to the fold.

NRAMA: Where did this gig come from? Was it something Marvel approached you to do, or something you pitched to them?

JA: Editor Axel Alonso said he was thinking that this needed to be a straight-up war story, and so he thought of me, since I've already written a war story in the form of The Other Side, which I did for Vertigo last year.

NRAMA: Has Black Panther always been a favorite for you? Any comics in particular come to mind?

JA: I've always been a huge FF fan, so I first knew Black Panther from that. And later I discovered the Don McGregor stories from Jungle Action, which are just terrific, especially if, like me, you love the idea of Black Panther kicking the asses of the KKK. And I also read the Priest series, which was great (and man, I really wish he'd gotten to keep going with The Crew). And I've been keeping up with the current series as well, and in particular I love how Reggie has really revitalized the country of Wakanda.

NRAMA: What are some of the quintessential Black Panther stories from that list that define who the character is to you? And what does that mean? Who is he?

JA: The "Panther's Rage" storyline from Jungle Action and the opening arc from the current series, "Who Is The Black Panther," are probably my favorites.

He's the divine leader of a nation unlike any other on earth. I believe it was Reggie who said he's basically like the President, the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Pope all rolled into one, and we'll be seeing every aspect of that multi-faceted role put into play in my arc.

NRAMA: Let's talk about your arc. Seeing as it concentrates on Secret Invasion, what will we see from T'Challa in this story?

JA: As I said, this is a war story, so T'Challa will mainly just be playing the part of strategist and warrior. The Skrulls have come to town, and the people of Wakanda are going to have to fight to preserve their freedom. That's something they've been
very good at over the decades, considering they've never been conquered by any outsiders. But then, they've never faced an enemy like the Skrull armada before, have they?

NRAMA: It doesn't seem like a fair fight. Can you tell us anything about what happens in the story?

JA: The Skrulls invade. The Wakandans fight to keep them back. The Skrulls outnumber them five to one and have sleeper agents and Super Skrulls on their side. But the Black Panther has a plan, so look out.

NRAMA: And as Black Panther and the country go to war, how does his marriage fit into this story? I ask because of the recent discussions we've heard about characters being married...

JA: I like the marriage. I think it really shows how he's matured and developed as a character. And yes, Storm will be a big part of my arc.

NRAMA: When we talked to you about taking over Ghost Rider, we discussed how it seemed to "fit" your writing style and the type of things you enjoy writing. Do you think Black Panther fits as well? Isn't writing him different from writing Ghost Rider?

JA: Black Panther is very different from Ghost Rider, of course, but I still feel like it's something in my wheel house, especially given the tone of this particular story. All I know is I'm having a lot of fun writing it.

NRAMA: Your Wolverine arc is about done, and this is just three issues. So will we see more projects from you at Marvel soon?

JA: Oh, most definitely. I'll be on Ghost Rider for the foreseeable future, and after I've wrapped up Black Panther, I'll be moving right on to something else.
You'll have to wait and see what though.

NRAMA: Can't blame us for asking. As we finish up, Jason, anything else you want to tell people about Black Panther and why readers might want to check your issues out?

JA: Did I mention that there's a Super Skrull with the powers of Marvel's greatest street fighters? And an epic battle like something out of Braveheart, but fought between green-skinned aliens and Wakandans in Black Panther garb?

Profile WWW YIM  

Jump to: